Research shows that teacher education, teacher training, group size, staff-to-child ratios, daily learning activities, and program environment have a positive impact on a child’s social, emotional, physical, language and intellectual development.
Health & Safety
Basic things to look for when choosing child care:
- Post or have available a Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) permit or letter
- CPR and First Aid training
- Health and safety training
- Good hand-washing practices
- Daily review of indoor/outdoor environments
- Fire extinguisher and/or smoke detectors
- Fire drills practice
- Emergency or evacuation plans
- Continuous child supervision
- Nutritious meals and snacks
Look Beyond Safety
- For reading and learning opportunities
- For both teacher and child-directed activities
- To the children laughing, singing, and playing
- To the teacher’s tone of voice
- To the teacher and child interaction
- To the teacher redirect children’s behavior
- The staff-child ratios and group size guidelines specified by DFPS are important in all age groups, especially for infants!
- About teacher-child development training
- About child-to-teacher ratio and group size
- About ability to care for children with special needs
Visit the DFPS website to see monitoring reports.
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)
Helping working parents with children
Remember to make unannounced visits!